You want to have a new website and you want old and new visitors to keep coming to it. To achieve this, you need to do a number of things including updating the contents of your website so that visitors will keep coming to it. Therefore, it is important that you have a website that can be easily maintain so that amending it will not be a time consuming and difficult task. Here are some tips on how to design a website that can be easily maintained.
2) Group such links into a section known as the menu bar which may appear on the top, on the left or on the right of a web page. The menu bar also appears on each page of your website.
3) Put the code for the menu bar in a separate file, for example, menubar.html and include the content of the file by placing the include directive of the Server Side Includes (SSI) on every page of your website that you want the menu bar to appear. The following is what you can type into a page to use the include directive to include the contents of menubar.html:
Whenever you need to amend the links in the menu bar, you only have to amend the menubar.html file. This saves your time from having to amend every page of your website.
4) The other items that may be common to your website include a link to your contact information page where you show your visitors how to keep in touch with you or provide you with some feedback, a link to your link exchange page when other webmasters can exchange links with you, and your copyright statement. Suchin a separate file for example, footer.html and be included on every page with the include directive for example, . Remember that in order for include directive to work you need to save each page of your website that has the directive with a .shtml extension. If each of the pages have .php extension, you may want to use the PHP include command, for example, include (“footer.html”) instead.
5) Place the directive at the bottom of every web page which is known as a the footer. Whenever you need to amend the footer, you only need make changes the footer.html file. In this way, you save your time from having to amend every page on your website.
6) Keep the design of your website as simple as possible. Do not include anything that does not really benefit the visitors. The more items you have on your website, the harder it will be for you to maintain it.
7) Some visitors to your website like to read the news especially the latest news. Instead of manually changing the news content or links to the news. You install a free web feed on the home page of your website. The web feed will automatically feed in the latest news to your website. In this way, you do not have to waste time updating your website with the latest news. An example of a web feed is 24-7 Press Release that you can download for free and install it on your website. You can find more web feeds on the Internet with the help of a search engine like Google.
8) If you need to have photos or images on your website, install a photo or image gallery so that it is easier for you upload, arrange, and delete photos or images. A example of an on-line photo gallery is the coppermine photo gallery which can be downloaded for free.